Praise Reports From the 1040 Window
Indian Government Recognizes Good Friday!
Protests in India have forced the government to restore the Good Friday holiday! The “widespread protests” were in response to a recent government declaration that Good Friday be a “working day.” The reported protests took place in Meghalaya State in northeastern India, where a Christian majority swayed the hand of the coalition government. The government restored the Good Friday holiday after Christian leaders reminded them that religious freedom is a constitutional right.
India’s government is led by the Hindu nationalist BJP party of President Modi. The Hindu nationalist party has been blamed for subtly encouraging violence and other persecution against Christians and other religious minorities across the country. The government refuses to speak out against the persecution led by Hindus. Similar attempts have been made to replace Christian holidays, including Christmas. India is climbing higher on the World Watch List of countries where it is most difficult to profess and practice Christianity. Since Modi and the BJP came into power in 2014, India’s persecution index has steadily increased to 11 this year from 17 last year, and from 21 the year before.
- PRAISE GOD that He moved the hand of the government to keep its commitment to religious freedom and to ensure that His sacrifice would be known and honored (The Bible, Psalm 10:14).
- PRAY that all attempts to eradicate Christianity will be met with the power of God (The Bible, Job 24:22).
- PRAY for Christians to seek the Lord’s leading and protection as they evangelize amidst anti-conversion laws (The Bible, Deuteronomy 31:6).
- PRAY that converts to Christianity will be encouraged in their faith and will pray for those around them to seek Jesus too (The Bible, Acts 14:22).
Good Friday holiday reinstated in Christian-majority Indian state after protests (Sight)
Protests in India Force State Government to Restore Good Friday as a Holiday (ICC)
India (World Watch List)
Protecting Women and Children!
As we intercede for the 10/40 Window, we lift up particular groups of people and the issues that confront them. We have dedicated Facebook pages to news and prayers for 10/40 Window Kids and for 10/40 Window Women.
This month, we celebrate the news of a substantial drop in the number of child marriages worldwide. Approximately 25 million child marriages have been prevented in the past decade, according to Unicef.
"Her [a girl’s] odds of finishing school decrease while her odds of being abused by her husband and suffering complications during pregnancy increase,” said Anju Malhotra, Unicef's principal gender adviser. “There are also huge societal consequences, and higher risk of intergenerational cycles of poverty."
A commitment to end child marriage by 2030 was a goal set by world leaders under the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Another form of protection comes from Tunisian females who are developing a mobile app to combat crimes against women. The app will connect a woman with a trusted person who can track her movements until she reaches her stated destination. It will also show her the nearest police station and hospital so that she can seek immediate help.
- PRAISE GOD that He is moving leaders to protect women and children (The Bible, Psalm 32:7).
- PRAY that culture will continue to shift toward valuing life and health above custom and reputation (The Bible, Deuteronomy 30:19-20).
- PRAY that world leaders will recognize solutions and decree them (The Bible, 1 Kings 3:28).
- PRAY that women and children who escape these practices will know Jesus and trust His promises. Pray that they will thrive in their freedom, and offer encouragement to those who are victims of these cultural practices (The Bible, Psalm 12:5).
10/40 Window Kids (WIN Facebook page)
Pray For 10/40 Window Women (WIN Facebook page)
Child marriage numbers falling, says Unicef (BBC)
Anju Malhotra, Unicef's principal gender adviser (Aljazeera)